In L.A., wearing jeans is practically a requirement. We invest a lot in our denim, so we’ve learned how to care of it. Here are our tried-and-true formulas.
DARK DENIM should be washed as little as possible to keep the colors dark.
1) Read the label on the item (designers do pay attention to these).
3) Turn the garment inside out before washing.
4) Wash dark denim in cold water with a specialty cleanser. Make sure to wash new items by themselves to make sure no dye is transferred to other items. The Laundress Denim Wash contains a color guard to preserve color and soften the denim for that lived-in feel. Plus, it’s recommended by denim designers.
5) Dry flat or hang to dry upside down. Most of the fading occurs in the hot dryer, so this is highly recommended. But if it’s not possible, dry in the dryer on the lowest setting.
WHITE DENIM can be kept looking new by following these easy steps.
1) Read the label on the item.
3) Wash with other whites in hot water combined with a specialty cleanser. The Laundress Whites Detergent is a triple-concentrated detergent that combines a natural bleach alternative with stain fighting agents.
4) Rewash if the stains are still visible.
5) Dry flat or hang to dry upside down. If this is not possible, dry in the dryer on the lowest setting.
Keep in mind:
– Wash your denim as little as possible. It fades and becomes thinner every time it’s washed.
– Embroidered denim should be washed by hand or in a mesh bag in the gentlest cycle of your machine, and line dried.
– Stretchy denim should be washed by hand by soaking in water with the appropriate cleaning solution and rinsing afterward. Washing stretchy denim in the washing machine will make the elasticity wear out faster.
– In between wearings, a spritz of linen water will keep denim smelling fresh.
Like this post? Sign up for our email list to get news and special offers!